British Academy Publications Online (BAPO) is an expanding collection of academic monographs and essay collections from the distinguished British Academy list, ranging across subjects in the humanities and social sciences.
The British Academy is the UK’s national body for the humanities and social sciences, with an international reputation for its research activities and interests. Established by the Royal Charter in 1902, it supports research across the full range of humanities and social sciences, with a diverse publication list that reflects the breadth of work supported by the Academy.
Oxford University Press is delighted to extend its longstanding relationship with the British Academy by making the Academy’s recent and future titles available online. British Academy Publications Online offers access to the full-text of over 120 print titles, both monographs and essay collections. The site is updated annually with new content.
All titles on British Academy Publications Online are available as full text, with abstracts available at book and chapter level. Complete with intuitive search and browse capabilities, extensive cross-linking and numerous options to view and share content, British Academy Publications Online provides a seamless and efficient research experience for scholars and students alike.
British Academy Publications Online allows users to:
- Access over 120 British Academy titles online
- Filter search results with subject specializations, and sort and filter the content relevant to research
- Save time with at-a-glance keywords and abstracts at both book and chapter level
- Use content in their preferred way - whether on-screen, in printer-friendly view, downloaded as PDF, sent by email, or shared via social network sites
- Save links to favourite books, chapters and commonly used searches, saving valuable research time
- Export citations to ProCiteTM, EndnoteTM, Reference ManagerTM, RefWorksTM, BibtexTM, and ZoteroTM
- Share content with colleagues and students with integrated tools including social bookmarking, email, citation export, and DOIs for direct and permanent linking
- Continue research journeys by following links from bibliographies and footnotes to available online content, such as journals, from a wide range of publishers
British Academy Publications Online offers librarians excellent service and support with:
- Options to purchase or subscribe
- COUNTER-compliant statistics at title level
- MARC21 records available free of charge
- OpenURL compliance, connecting citations straight into your library catalogue
- Conformance with WCAG accessibility guidelines and ‘AA’ compliant
- RSS feeds delivering the latest news and title list straight to your desktop
- DOIs (and static URLs) at book and chapter level
- Superior customer support providing subscribers and users with timely responses and assistance
Obtaining access to British Academy Publications Online
If you are a Librarian, you can register for a 30 day institutional free trial.
If you are an academic or a student, you can recommend British Academy Publications Online to your Librarian.
Free trials are unavailable to private individuals.
Keep up-to-date with the latest news from Oxford University Press and British Academy Publications Online
You can opt in to receive information from OUP in several different ways:
- For the latest news related specifically to British Academy Publications Online, subscribe to the RSS feed from our homepage.
- To receive information about our latest publishing, including subject news and special offers, join our mailing list for North & South America or the UK, Europe & Rest of World.
- Connect via our Social Media channels, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and via the OUP Blog.
Other useful links
Get an overview of the key features and benefits of British Academy Publications Online by viewing our online tutorial.
View the site credits.